What is a Brow Lift?
As we age, our skin loses elasticity and starts to sag. This can result in your eyebrows starting to hang lower, shortening the distance between your brow and eyelids. This can be aesthetically displeasing, giving the sufferer an angry or tired look, and, in extreme cases, can even impair vision. A brow lift is a simple procedure to remove the excess skin, using one of several techniques as appropriate, depending on factors such as desired results, hair loss, etc.
Who is a candidate for a brow lift?
If you have a low or sagging brow, you might want to consider undergoing this procedure, especially if it is beginning to push down on your upper eyelid, making it more difficult to see. It is important to keep in mind that, like all surgeries, a brow lift is not entirely risk free. The associated risks include:
- Visible scarring after the operation, especially in patients with thin hair or a receding hairline.
- Temporary or permanent numbness in the skin of the forehead or the top of the scalp.
- Asymmetry of the brows. A brow lift can leave one or both brows looking too high. This usually resolves itself during the healing process. However, additional surgery is occasionally required to resolve problems of asymmetry.
- Hair loss or an elevated hairline along the incision line.
An experienced team, such as ours here at Adcure, will be able to determine if this surgery will achieve the effect you desire and which particular procedure will guarantee the best results as well as minimizing the risk factors.
What does Brow Lift involve?
A browlift is generally performed as an outpatient procedure although you will be given a general anaesthetic. The operation usually lasts between one and two hours, and the surgeon will take into consideration such factors as hair coverage, extent of the sagging and the patient’s desired results to determine which of several procedures to use. Patients are generally released on the same day as the surgery is performed.
Post – Op Care
After the surgery, your head may be loosely bandaged to minimize swelling and protect the incision wounds. A small tube may also be placed along the incision site to drain excess blood or fluid from the wound.
In the days following the procedure, you should do the following:
- Keep your head in an elevated position while resting and avoid any strenuous activities.
- Take pain medication as prescribed by your doctor.
- Relieve swelling through the application of cold compresses.
During the healing process you may experience numbness and itching, but these will lessen over time. Dressings will be removed in one to three days and stitches will come out after seven to ten days. Your doctor will advise you as to when you can resume such activities as showering, swimming and washing your hair. Swelling may last several weeks, after which the final result of the operation will be visible.
Eyebrow lifting can literally take the years off your face, giving you a rejuvenated, more harmonious and happier appearance. Don’t hesitate any longer and schedule a consultation here at Adcure today, and our specialists will take you through your options and what results you can expect from this surgery.